Skip to content ↓


Ifield Community College Local Offer

At Ifield Community College we have a comprehensive Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) policy on our graduated response to the identification and assessments of students.

 How does the school know if my child needs extra help?                     

We closely monitor the progress of each student throughout their time at the college using:

  • Transition information from primary schools

  • Regular analysis of achievement and behaviour data

  • Teacher and Learning Support Assistant (LSA) observations of students

  • Daily feedback from Learning Mentors and Progress Leaders

  • Parental input

  • Feedback from specialists and external agencies where appropriate

What should I do if I think my child may have SEN? 

You should contact ICC’s Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) to discuss any concerns - Mrs Victor

How will staff support my child?  

  • Your child’s Mentor will work with your child to address needs on a daily basis

  • Your child’s Progress Leader (PL) will have an overview of the progress of all students and, along with the SENCo, will coordinate the work of other professionals and outside agencies that work with your child

  • Your child’s subject teachers will ensure that all students, whatever their special educational needs, receive appropriate educational provision through a broad and balanced curriculum that is relevant and differentiated, and that demonstrates coherence and progression in learning

  • Subject teachers will also ensure that robust procedures are in place to monitor, review and evaluate learning outcomes

  • LSAs observe students and provide regular feedback to the SENCo communicating the needs of the students

  • Intervention support work is put in place where appropriate. This may be in class support by an LSA or withdrawal from lessons for individual or group work with LSAs, teachers, or other professionals

  • Teaching staff effectively differentiate, deliver high quality teaching and have high aspirations for all students

  • The quality of SEND provision is regularly monitored by the SENCo

How will I know how my child is doing? 

  • Progress Review days take place 3 times a year. You will meet your child’s mentor to discuss their progress and behaviour

  • Parents’ Consultation Evenings take place at least once a year. You will meet all your child’s subject teachers

  • Live achievement, attendance and behaviour information is available online from the Go 4 Schools site. A full written report will also be produced each year.

  • An Annual Review will be held for all students with a Statement for Special Educational Needs/Education Health Care Plan

  • The SENCO will meet with parents should the need arise to discuss progress/support in place which includes monitoring of the Individual Learning Plan (ILP)

  • We encourage you to contact staff with any concerns as they arise. All staff emails can be found on the website

How will the learning and development provision be matched to my child's needs? 

  • Careful planning by Subject teachers and Progress Leaders will ensure appropriate access and achievement for all students

  • Teachers must adapt their teaching to respond to the needs of all students

  • ICC will follow the ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ intervention

  • The SENCO will monitor and evaluate the progress of students with SEND through the use of school assessments information, e.g. class based assessments/records and the school’s assessment data

  • Subject teachers recognise that no one learner is like another and differentiate to provide learning opportunities for all learners

  • Progress Leader mentoring

  • Examination Access Arrangements assessments

  • Literacy Support which is delivered in small groups

  • Appropriate intervention through in class support or withdrawal from lessons for one to one or small group work

  • A reviews of progress three times a year

What Support will there be to reduce anxiety/promote emotional wellbeing? 

  • At ICC we always provide variety of opportunities to listen to the student’s views including 1:1 meetings and the Student Council

  • Progress Leaders, pastoral team and emotional well-being team support students with self-esteem, anxiety and social skills

  • Personal, Social and Health Educational (PHSE) Programmes delivered in lessons 

  • focussing on anti-bullying/friendships etc

  • Positive relationships with parents, school and students
  • Wider outcomes including extracurricular activities – CVQ programme

  • Medical cards and First Aid support

  • Referral to more specialised support, Child and mental Health Service (CAMHS, Education Psychology Service, Young Carers, Education Support Team for medical absence (ESTMA)

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having?

  • As all teachers are teachers of Special Educational Needs, they will have had appropriate and regular training on key topics and individual needs to ensure that every student’s needs are met.

  • LSAs have had appropriate personalised training to support individual students

  • The SENCO will help staff to identify students with SEND

  • LSAs are fully aware of the procedures for identifying, assessing and making provision for students with SEND

  • A robust programme of professional development is designed and maintained for both teaching and support staff

What Specialist Servics and expertise are available at or accessed by the school? 

If the teacher has tried strategies in class but data shows insufficient progress, the SENCo will identify possible interventions to be put in place. If interventions show little impact, additional support/advice from outside agencies can be set up. These could include:

  • Educational Psychologist

  • Specialist Advisory teachers – Hearing Impaired/Visually Impaired/Autism

  • Parent Partnership

  • In addition we have a school counsellor on site every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday morning

How will you help me to support my child in their Learning? How will I be involved in the discussion? 

  • Parents’ Evenings take place every year and give you the opportunity to discuss your child’s progress with their class teacher

  • Parents will be notified if the school decides to make special education provision for their child

  • Information about achievement, behaviour and attendance is available online through Go 4 Schools. We also provide a written report on each student’s progress once year

  • Regular contact with Progress Leaders, Subject Leaders and the pastoral team

  • SEN Handbook disseminated to all staff with strategies to support SEND students

  • Regular SEND training for staff

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

  • Students with SEND join in school activities alongside other students, as far as is reasonable, practical and compatible with their needs

  • Appropriate provision and reasonable adjustments will be made where necessary

  • Parents of SEND will be involved in the planning of school trips for their child

  • Medical support in place where necessary

How accessible is the school environment?

  • ICC complies with Equality Act 2010 – Policy available online

Who can I contact for further information? 

Our SENCo is an expert in SEND and is fully trained and the SEND policy is available online

Sonja Victor

How will the school prepare and support my child in transfer?

  • Careful liaison with their previous school to ensure that the transition process is effective and the individual’s needs are met when they enter ICC. This includes attending statement/EHC review meetings where relevant

  • Parent/carers of SEND students are invited in to school for a 1:1 meeting to discuss any concerns about their child

  • New year 7 Induction day to integrate students into the school and meet relevant staff

  • The SENCo visits our feeder Primary Schools to discuss any concerns with the class teacher and SENCo

How will the school's resources be allocated and matched to children's special educational needs?  

  • SEND funding distributed where appropriate

  • Exceptional Needs Funding provided via an application made by ICC to County in exceptional circumstances

How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive? 

  • Parent consultation at all stages of the decision making process is vital in addition the SENCo will work with teaching and support staff, and relevant external agencies

Where can I find out about the local authorities offer of services and provision for children and young people with SEN?

  • As part of the reforms West Sussex County Council has developed a ‘local offer’ for young people and families of children with SEND.

    Information can be found at